2021 MN Suns Summer Xplosion - Rules
Games will be played under the National Federation High School (NFHS) rules, except for the following changes/additions/clarifications:
- Only AAU members may participate. All personnel sitting on the bench must have an AAU athlete or non-athlete membership.
Game Timing / Timeouts / Overtimes:
- Length of game:
- 4th-8th grade: 14 minute halves
- 9th-11th grade: 16 minute halves with shot clock for Top Divisions
- Consolation games may not have a shot clock
- 30 second shot clock resets on change of possession and an offensive rebound when the ball hits the rim
- No reset on timeouts or stoppages due to out of bounds
- All resets are back to 30 seconds
- All games will be stop time. If the game margin is 20 points or more with 8 minutes or less in the game, the clock will go to running time. If the margin shrinks below 15, the clock will go back to stop time.
- No pressing until the last 5 minutes of the second half for 4th and 5th grade games
- No Pressing with a 20 point lead or more
- Time outs: Each team shall receive (1) Full and (2) 30-second timeouts per game.
- Overtime: First overtime will be 2 minutes stop time. If the game is still tied, the 2nd overtime will be the first team to score two points. Each team will receive (1) additional 30 second timeout for the 1st overtime only. No additional time-outs will be granted if the game goes beyond the 1st overtime. Teams are allowed to carry-over time-outs from regulation to overtime and from 1st overtime to sudden death.
- Forfeit Rule: A team must have 4 players to start a game. Referees shall not rule on a forfeit without first consulting a tournament or site director.
- Warm up: A minimum of 4 minutes will be given for pregame warm up. Games may start early with mutual consent by both head coaches and both officials.
- Halftime: Halftime will be 3 minutes. The site director may reduce halftime if the court is running behind schedule.
Fouls / Free Throws
- Fouls: A player fouls out at 6 fouls. 1 & 1 free throws awarded on the 7th team foul of the half and (2) free throws awarded on and after 10 team fouls.
- Free Throw Rebounding: On the release players may enter the lane. Shooters and other players behind the 3 point line may enter the lane as the ball touches the rim.
- Any technical foul given to the head coach or assistant coach shall result in the head coach losing their coaching box privileges for the remainder of that game (seatbelt rule).
- Since we are using volunteers as score-keepers, an error in the official book WILL NOT result in a technical foul.
Other Administrative Rules & Information:
- HOME team is listed on the BOTTOM/SECOND on Tourney Machine (online) and will wear DARK jerseys.
- AWAY team is listed on the TOP/FIRST on Tourney Machine (online) and will wear LIGHT jerseys.
- Official Book: Home team will provide a scorekeeper for each game of the tournament and the scoreboard will be operated by tournament staff.
- Basketballs: Home team to provide an indoor game basketball (Size 28.5 for all levels). Must be Spaulding, Wilson, Baden, UA, Nike, or Adidas wide seam basketball. If Home team does not have one available, Away team can provide.
- Sportsmanship: MN AAU recognizes the importance of sportsmanship in providing a competitive environment that is positive and fun! MN AAU keeps a file on each team/coaching staff and each game official. Disciplinary Action will be taken for those who display poor behavior!
- Any protests must be done in written form through your club director to MN Suns Basketball Director, Dre Jefferson (Call or Text 612-384-2909); firstname.lastname@example.org
Tournament Contact Information:
- Leading up to the event, questions should be sent to email@example.com
- During Event: Tournament Director - Ameh Ogbemudia (612-240-8399, Text message is best)